Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Birthday, America!

Yesterday I went out into my neighborhood in Brooklyn to take pictures of American flags. Being the day before our nation's birthday, I thought there would be a show of patriotism. I was disappointed but not surprised that I walked for many blocks and could only find a handful including my own two. I even went back out with my dogs for a second trip to find more flags.

What I discovered was that the American flags that I did find looked like they had been up for a long time. Seemed to be only the old timers in the area, God Bless them. None of the new residents had any flags, nor did any of the 'luxury loft' condos have any either. You'd think that living under the shadow of the World Trade Center would have some kind of lasting effect.

11 Comments:

Blogger HappyLibertarian said...

UI, thanks for the wonderful tableau of Old Glory from your neighborhood. I'm honestly surprised you found so many in this age of anti-Patriotism, especially in Brooklyn. Your photography and dedication to the cause continues...

Happy Birthday, America!

July 04, 2007 1:05 PM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Happy Independence Day, HL!

Nice to see there are still patriots in New York City.

Have a wonderful holiday. I'll be watching the fireworks over Manhattan tonight.

July 04, 2007 1:23 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Happy 4th, UI!

July 04, 2007 2:03 PM  
Blogger Yankee Doodle said...

Happy Independence Day, UI!

July 04, 2007 8:12 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Being the day before our nation's birthday, I thought there would be a show of patriotism. I was disappointed but not surprised that I walked for many blocks and could only find a handful including my own two.

That's awful--and sad, too.

Not too many flags yesterday on homes here in Northern Virginia, but more flags than on other days.

Now, off to view your slide show!

July 05, 2007 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moving pictures, UI.
It often seems that patriotism is an afterthought. It is refreshing to know that at least some people take the time to express it.
Thank you for the wonderful pictorial.
DanNY

July 05, 2007 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your flag show very much. New Yorkers are fantastic at flying the flag. You've proved that from the number of shots. Good job!

July 05, 2007 5:40 PM  
Blogger American Crusader said...

Fantastic pictures!
Hope you had a great Fourth of July.
It was a complete washout in Upper Westchester County.
Any better where you are?

July 05, 2007 9:55 PM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Hi AC,
Was very nice, thanks! It rained a bit but the fireworks show went on. My BBQ got postponed until the day after.

July 06, 2007 6:20 AM  
Blogger Dave J. said...

Great job!

July 06, 2007 10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job UI, I loved it! I hope you had a nice 4th!

absurd thought -
God of the Universe says
freedom is for suckers

let other countries rule you
pay them to leave you alone
.

July 08, 2007 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home